BBA Stars

The Honorable Greg Abbott

GregAbbott_right_size
Governor of Texas

The 48th governor of Texas, Greg Abbott continues to build on his long record as a conservative leader who fights to preserve the values Texans hold most dear — faith, family and freedom.

“Being a student at the University of Texas showed me the power of a quality higher education. I was, and remain, impressed by the access to professors, the curriculum, and the ability to connect with the student body, not just during my time on campus but after graduating as well. I am proud to maintain a close bond to the school, not only by going to football games but also by committing myself to ensuring that UT leads the nation in higher education.”

Governor Abbott’s vision for a better future is founded on economic opportunity, education excellence and limited government. As part of his plan to advance higher education and fuel economic development, the state is making a strategic investment of $450 million to elevate the national research standings of Texas’ public colleges and universities. This includes matching funds from the new Governor’s University Research Initiative to help recruit even more Nobel Laureates and National Academy members.

Prior to his election as governor in 2014, Greg Abbott was the longest-serving Attorney General of Texas. He also previously served as a Justice on the Texas Supreme Court and as a State District Judge in Harris County.

After graduating from The University of Texas with a B.B.A. in Finance, he received his law degree from Vanderbilt University. Shortly after graduating from law school, he was partially paralyzed by a falling tree while jogging.

He and his wife, Cecilia, have been married for 34 years. She is a former teacher and principal, and the first Hispanic First Lady of Texas. The Abbotts have one daughter, Audrey, a college student.

BBA Stars Archive