BBA Stars

Reuben McDaniel

mcdaniel

Reuben Roosevelt McDaniel, Junior, Ph.D., was born on January 6, 1936. He received his B.S. degree in mechanical engineering from Drexel University in 1964, his M.A. degree in guidance and counseling from the University of Akron in 1968, and his Ed.D. in higher education from Indiana University in 1971.

McDaniel was first employed as a mechanical designer at the Government and Industrial Division of Philco Corporation. In 1965, McDaniel began his work in education at Baldwin-Wallace College Learning Center where he held the positions of Director for Division of Educational Services, Assistant to the Dean, and Assistant Professor of Education. After leaving Baldwin-Wallace College, McDaniel held several positions over the years at The University of Texas at Austin, including Dean of Students (1972-73), Assistant Professor of Management (1972-75), and Associate Professor of Management (1975-1981). McDaniel received tenure at the University of Texas in 1975. Over all, he accumulated more than fifty years of experience in university education and administration.

Reuben was the founding coordinator of the McCombs Health Care Initiative; he received numerous awards and recognitions, including Fellow at the IC2 Institute and Outstanding Professor of the McCombs School of Business. He authored two books: The Uncertainty and Surprise in Complex Systems and Organizations: An Information Systems Perspective.

McDaniel is often quoted as saying “Students don’t really care how good a teacher I am. They care about how much they can learn. I try to provide an environment for them to get on with their learning.” McDaniel believed in pushing students to go beyond expectations. “The students deserve more credit than we give them,” he observed. “Sometimes my colleagues look at my syllabus, and they say, ‘You know MBA students will not read that stuff you assigned.’ My response is always the same: ‘I’m positive they will not read it if it’s not assigned.'”

BBA Stars Archive