Entrepreneurs

Aldo Alvarez

www.aporta.org.mx is an online donation portal that gives Mexican nonprofits the ability to publish and promote their latest fundraising projects, news, volunteer and job opportunities, transparency related finances, videos, and philanthropic events.

The idea to create Aporta was born after Hurricane Alex struck my hometown of Monterrey, Mexico in 2010. Living in New York City at the time, and wanting to help, I found it difficult to financially support the disaster relief efforts in a quick and efficient manner. Shortly after, I then began a detailed investigation into the entire philanthropic sector in Mexico and quickly found that there was a huge lack of technology within the sector, which prevented nonprofits from reaching their potential.

My vision became a reality when I partnered up with Eduardo Saverin, cofounder of Facebook, and we together founded www.aporta.org.mx in 2011. The purpose of Aporta is to reduce fundraising inefficiencies, promote transparency amongst nonprofits, create a larger donation market, and a much formal philanthropic environment in Mexico with the goal to later scale the technology globally. It is our goal that we help strengthen the bonds between donor and institution through technology. Aporta is a digital center for social good, with new philanthropic content being published each day.

As of July 2016, we have over 500 nonprofits registered to our platform and our goal for the next few years is to reach more than 5,000 nonprofits registered in our website with millions of users engaging with them via the Internet. Aporta is supported by the Mexican Government through the National Entrepreneurship Institute of Mexico (INADEM). In April of 2016, Aporta was awarded two awards by the AMIPCI (Mexican Internet Association) for Best Professional Service Website and Impact Institution.

www.aporta.org.mx
BBA Entrepreneurs Archive