Entrepreneurs

Jim Fellers

FellersJim

I started with a pizza stand, Amore’s Pizza, at UT in front of the Littlefield Fountain, featured here in The Alcade, the alumni magazine of the University of Texas at Austin.

By the time I graduated from UT in 1990, Amore’s Foods had begun supplying Whole Foods Markets with product.   My company grew to over twenty-two employees by 1994 when I sold Amore’s Foods to an executive from the H.E.B. grocery store chain.

After a failed attempt to start a company in California producing aluminum wire, I returned to Austin from Los Angeles in 1998 and started PowerPipe.com, a web hosting company, and an ICANN-accredited domain registrar called $6.25 Domains, Inc.  Both companies were acquired by Demand Media (NYSE: DMD) in 2011 and currently service over three million customers.  Interestingly, in 1999 we secured the global exclusive marketing rights to the .VU top-level domain from Telecom Vanuatu.   I  also spun out three ICANN registrars, #1 Host China, #1Host America and #1Host Russia, acquired by Moniker.com, HostGator.com and NameCheap.com, respectively.

After Demand Media acquired PowerPipe.com, and after Moniker, HostGator.com and NameCheap.com acquired the #1 Host registrars, I started a company called Adventure Ventures in 2012 and have since made some interesting investments in start-ups in several different industries.  One of the more interesting projects is Human Research, Inc. out of Nevada, focused on health and longevity research.

GO HORNS!

FellersJim_inset
Powerpipe.com
BBA Entrepreneurs Archive