BBA Memories

1977 Red River Rivalry

keepclam

I was a freshman in 1977 and what a year to start my college career at the greatest campus in Texas! I attended all of the home football games and traveled to Dallas for two – SMU and the great OU Red River Rivalry. That game with OU on October 8, 1977 at the Cotton Bowl is one that will be remembered for the ages. UT’s starting quarterback, Mark McBath, was injured early in the game. His back, Jon Aune, was injured not long after. The third string quarterback, Randy McEachern, came from nowhere to lead the Horns to a close victory, 13-6. The great Earl Campbell rushed for 124 yards and scored the only touchdown of the game. UT relied on their powerhouse kicker, Russell Erxleben, who kicked two huge field goals (64 and 58 yards) to put them ahead of OU and win the game. I remember the excitement from start to finish, and the horror UT fans felt when their quarterbacks were carried off the field. But our heroes did not give up and brought home a victory. By the end of the season, the tower was bathed in orange light every weekend with “1”‘s showing in the windows.

Teresa Musgrove
Memory Archive